I’m not a huge slow cooker user. But I love using it for these. They are a staple in our house now and will be on the menu for our backyard Keels Cafe 2014. And the good news is you can make this ahead and refrigerate the pulled
pork for up to 4 days. Try it with Megan’s Chayote Slaw or this Creamy Cabbage Slaw.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 1/4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium bowl, mix the onion with the ketchup, brown sugar, cider vinegar, molasses, mustard.
- In a slow cooker, cover the pork with the ketchup mixture.
- Cook on high until the pork is very tender, about 6 hours.
- Transfer the pork to a work surface and, using 2 forks, shred the meat.
- Pour the sauce into a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cook over high heat until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir the shredded pork into the sauce, season with salt and pepper and serve.