Oilerie Orange Olive Oil and Polenta Cake
- 1/2 cup orange olive oil, plus more for pan (or just regular … I just had the special kind)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, plus 1/3 cup for topping
- 1/2 cup orange juice – about 2 squeezed
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal – finely ground works best
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Orange segments, for serving (optional) – Listen to the our Orange you glad we didn’t say Turnip podcast to hear more about this
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush bottom and sides of an 8-inch round cake pan with oil; line bottom with a round of wax or parchment paper, and brush paper with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, 1 cup sugar, and orange juice until smooth.
- Add flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and orange zest; whisk gently to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1/3 cup sugar (topping will be thick).
- Bake until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan and a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool in pan 20 minutes.
- Run a knife around edge of cake; invert cake gently onto a plate, and remove parchment paper.
- Reinvert cake onto a rack to cool completely. Serve with orange segments, if desired.