Go on an adventure to your local spice store. Give them this list and
let them lead you
to aisles you may have not been down before. This spice blend is great without the heat. If you want heat, then just include some of the seeds from the dried arbol peppers. If you accidentally add too many and you think it’s too spicy, make another batch without the seeds and then just mix them. Ta-da!
Try it in this Curried Chayote and Shrimp.
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbap cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp cardamom seeds
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 dried arbol chilies broken in pieces with seeds removed. (keep some seeds for heat if you like.)
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- In a small dry skillet, combine everything except the ground turmeric
- Toast over medium-low heat, shaking the pan often to precent the spices from burning and because it’s super fun.
- Do this just a couple minutes until the spices smell fragrant. You’ll smell them.
- In a clean coffee grinder or a Magic Bullet, grind the toasted spices to a powder.
- Add the ground turmeric and give it another buzz in the grinder.
- You can use it immediately and store the rest in a sealed jar for up to 2 months. That’s what the Spice House tells me.